Today, Sonalysts’ wXstation software is being used around the clock at airlines and aviation service companies around the world. Following the military tradition of strong user involvement during the design process, wXstation was developed by experienced computer scientists working directly with aviation meteorologists and airline dispatchers to satisfy requirements for fleet management and aviation safety.
The system processes large streams of real-time, worldwide weather, flight-following, and operational data into an object-relational database that meteorologists and dispatchers access through our data-fusion software clients. These multiple live, real-time, and static databases are then correlated to provide timely alerting and visualizations of aviation and flight operations and hazards.
wXstation server ingests an extensive set of meteorological and aircraft flight data from domestic and international data sources. wXstation uses an open source, object-relational database management system and is fully configurable for data storage, archive, and data extraction for use by client and third-party applications. wXstation can be run as a standalone system, in a small client-server network, or on large networks.
DWC is the fully integrated desktop application of Sonalysts’ wXstation family of products. Sonalysts' Dispatch Weather Client (DWC) application provides airline dispatcher meteorologists, and managers with integrated weather and flight following situational awareness visualizations, analyses, and customized alerting for their current and planned flights. Automated image and vector product generation allows distribution of tailored data products to other staff and customers via the web and customer applications. Its modular, plug-in framework runs on Linux and Windows platforms, and permits plug-in capability for third-party and customer applications.
- Multiple map and analyses tabs, windows, and views
- Geographic interface with intuitive, pan-zoom-roam controls
- Savable session and layer configuration files
- Robust flight filtering with easy-to-use user interface
- Flight and weather data displayed as structured trees, tables, graphs, and detailed views
- Scalable geographic and navigational data--scalable data de-cluttering
- Multi-product map looping with individual layer transparency controls
- Mouse-over information balloons on displayed elements
- Time management feature to enable temporal views
- Palette editor to generate user-defined color fills and enhancements
- Auto-updating map layers for continuous situation awareness
- Map, Geographic, and GIS Layers: customizable map background and overlays features; image (geotiff) layer and shapefile layer with element selection and configuration controls
- Flight-Following and Customer Route Layers: robust filtering and configurable display of flight data, flight plans, and flight tracks
- Airspace/Navigational Layer: configurable display for airports, airspace, airways, and navigational aids
- Temporary Flight Restriction (TFR) and Runway Visual Range (RVR) Layers and Displays: FAA TFR data for filtering and display; RVR current and time series plots
- Radar Layer: all single site and mosaic radar products including VAD (Vertical Azimuth Display) and Storm Attribute display and tables; indigenous ability to create mosaic products from single site data
- Satellite Layer: satellite images with palette and customizable infrared enhancements for display and looping
- Gridded Data (GRIB) Layer: GRIB and GRIB2 data to plot, contour, and color fill for display and looping
- Aviation Layers: color-coded METARs and TAFs based on flight conditions; user-selectable PIREPs, SIGMETs, and AIRMETs
- Station Layer: customizable weather station plots
- Weather History and Forecast Meteograms: past (METAR) and forecast (GRIB) selected parameter data plots
- Collaborative Convective Forecast Product (CCFP) Layer: CCFP display options and looping
- Tropical Overlays Layer: customizable tropical storm tracks, wind sector, uncertainty cones, data, and messages
- Vector Based Graphics Layer: forecaster and auto-generated wXstation vector products
- Upper Air Layer and Analysis: customizable upper air charts, pseudo-adiabatic diagrams, and time series analyses from radiosonde or GRIB point data
- Cross-Section Analysis: vertical cross sections of upper air or GRIB data along a user-defined route or flight plan
- Advisories and Warning Layers: NWS county and zone weather watches, advisories, and warnings; watch boxes; and international volcanic ash cloud forecasts
- Text Weather and Bulletin Viewers: text product viewer from user-defined station or airport lists
- Desk Management Feature: ability to create and use flights and station lists generated from dispatcher desk assignments